The Pilates Roll Up is one of the best exercises for intermediate Pilates peeps. Once you have developed a mind and body connection, you start to challenge your core to follow along. I definitely feel my core fire up every single time I practice this exercise.
What are the Benefits to The Pilates Roll Up?
- Creates flexibility in your spine while building strong core muscles
- Targets the rectus abdominis (the “six-pack” muscle) 30x more than a regular crunch
- Increases blood flow and circulation while promoting deep breathing
How to execute?
- Lie back flat with legs straight on the mat and arms extended above straight above the shoulders. Slightly tuck your pelvis while still maintaining a neutral spine – AVOID over-tucking the pelvis.
- Bring arms forward, tilt chin down, and slowly curl upper body up, reaching hands towards the sky before folding forward to touch your toes. KEEP lower body stable on the mat.
- Rest spine and reach arms above your head towards the sky to lengthen your torso. Slowly curl chin in towards the chest and roll back resisting gravity, while continuing to keep heels glued to the mat.
- Repeat 8 to 10 times, slowly.